Thursday, May 27, 2010

The wings are wide, the wings are wide.

Letting go.
Take and deep breath lay down those crutches.
“Most of our troubles are due to our passionate desire for and attachment to things that we misapprehend as enduring entities.” ~Dalai Lama


"We are all constantly evolving and growing. Define yourself in terms that can withstand change"*

"I plead with you not to dwell on days now gone nor to yearn vainly for yesterdays, however good those yesterdays may have been. The past is to be learned from but not lived in. We look back to claim the embers from glowing experiences but not the ashes."- Jeffery R. Holland**


What types of things do I identify myself with? I have noticed that sometimes I define myself with things, past regrets, past accomplishments, old habits, people or insecurities. We hold on to them, and they become our crutches. We lean on them so that we don't have to brave running and possible risk falling again. Its easier to define our selves as "non-committal" because someone hurt us or we "ruined" something, "weak" because of a past mistake ("I smoke because I am a smoker") or I run when things get scary because someone else hurt me. Instead of letting those be your excuses for being or doing something negative...

Let them go, and you will walk much better then you thought, and its even easier without the crutches.

The present can't possibly be what it could/should be when we are smothering it with fear.


This is my dad in Maui. You can't see it. But his left foot has a boot on it. My dad is a great example of not using crutches... maybe even when he should. But dads are strong like that.

*more about this subject can be found here.
**"The Best is Yet to Come" -Jeffery R. Holland

2 comments:

Jaron & Abby said...

Thanks am I needed that! I love you!

Amy Jo said...

I love YOU Abs. Glad you needed that. I need YOU:)